- HEV History: How HEV history began a
revolution toward “green” cars.
- How HEVs Work: Computers switch back
and forth between gas and electric power to make these HEVs truly
- HEV Technology: What hybrid electric
vehicles (HEVs) are, their advantages, key components and their future.
- HEV Recommendation Panel Report: An
Indiana University panel recommends how we can increase HEV knowledge
and usage in the United States. (pdf)
- U.S. Electric Vehicle Sales Forecast to 2030:
HEVs constitute just over three percent of vehicle sales in the United
States. This report forecasts that lithium-ion batteries will replace
conventional hybrid electric vehicle batteries to provide for longer
drives and greater consumer satisfaction. (pdf)
- Hybrid Electric Vehicle Primer: There
are two HEV designs: mild and full hybrids. The way they combine power
is through the common parallel hybrid or through the series design,
most common in plug-in HEVs.
- Hybrid Electric and Fuel
Hybrid and fuel cell resource reference material.
- Hybrid Structure: Take a look at the
parts of an HEV.
- Stepping Out with HEV: Hybrid electric
vehicle technology is called “step-out” technology as it utilizes
technology already in place—there’s no need to invent something totally
- Plug-in HEVs: The benefits of owning
PHEVs include battery prices, projected energy costs and long-term cost
- Pollutant Overview: The Environmental
Protection Agency’s take on how PHEVs reduce gas emissions and how they
later will be more cost-effective as technology upgrades emerge.
- The California Cars Initiative:
Converting hybrids to plug-in hybrids is an expensive process—up to
$13,000 and mostly are available for America’s best selling hybrid, the
- Electric Glossary: The Electric Auto
Association’s electric vehicle glossary includes hybrid definitions.
- The Climate Lab on PHEVs: Compare the
new PHEV features and benefits to conventional gasoline vehicles—there
are some limitations.
Concerns, Real Hybrid Owners
- Who's Got Hybrids: Bill Nye, the
Science Guy, takes you for a behind the scenes look at real people who
- Family Hybrid Shoot-Out: The National
Motorists Association puts to the test HEVs to see which ones are
- 2012 Hybrid Vehicle Comparison: Select
up to four vehicles to compare estimated city and highway mileage,
annual fuel cost, air pollution and carbon footprint scores.
- Hybrid Details: Learn about HEV power
systems and their benefits.
- Impact Study: Although HEVs lower
tailpipe emissions, the emissions from creating the HEVs make an
environmental impact. Plug-in HEVs may allay some of the concern.
- IRS Hybrid News: Past news releases,
legal guidance and fact sheets from the Internal Revenue Service on
- Student's Guide to Hybrids: Help teach
the next generation about transportation energy basics and hybrid
- Hybrids or Electric Cars?: See the
benefits of full electric cars so that you can make an informed choice
to go hybrid or totally electric.
- International Battery Seminar 2007:
This report from the National Renewable Energy Laboratory details the
battery requirements and cost-benefit analyses for PHEVs. (pdf)
- Energy Storage: San Diego State
University College of Engineering drafted conceptual and final designs
for viable electrical energy storage systems for HEVs.
- Ecological HEV Advantages: Comparison
among the Honda HEV, a popular mid-sized Honda and an SUV shows the
differences between annual fuel cost and greenhouse gas emissions.
- HEV Vehicle Dynamics: Class notes from
the University of Colorado at Boulder regarding fuel economy standards,
HEV dynamics and traction power requirements with equations that detail
power and performance.
- Lithium-ion Batteries: Use the
calculator to find out how long a lithium-ion battery would last in a
hand-held video game—then realize why HEV makers want to use them in
- Powering Up with a Smart Grid?: Could
sharing electrons be the wave of the future? If you don’t use all your
plug-in HEV battery energy, can you just “de-charge” it back into the
U.S. power grid system to help meet energy demand? This is an
interesting question considering the aging power grid system in the U.S.
- Economic Advantages of HEVs: Expensive
to buy, cheap to use? An HEV averages $5,000 above the cost of their
- Hybrid Fact Sheet: Road testing HEVs
and plug-in HEVs: will the plug-ins give better gas mileage?
- Hybrid Vehicles, What they Mean for Your
Insurance: This resource breaks down the savings hybrid
owners see at the pump and on their insurance statements.
- Alternative Energy: Energy resources
from battery dealers to information about solar water heaters.
- Government Resources: A collection of
some government resources and a handful of others that pertain to
electric drive vehicles.
- Green Sanctuary: Rethink transportation
with these articles and studies about energy efficient cars.
- Small Actions, Big Impact: Users of
this site share their home initiatives. One chooses to drive a Prius
and shares her experiences.
- CirKits: Dealer of circuits for solar
- Elektryczne: A collection of car
manufacturer resources and car articles.
- Environment: A brief article on Light
Electric Vehicles with some great resources.
- Plug In Hybrids: Links to information
on plug-in hybrid electric cars.
- Education and Learning Opportunities:
Video, radio and text resources about energy solutions and
Cars: Arguments in favour of electric vehicles
- Show and Say: Additional resources
pertaining to hybrid cars.